Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Over and Above

I am currently reading Howard Schultz's book "Onward" which is the story behind why he had to come back into the role of CEO of Starbucks overseeing day to day operations and the importance of culture, customers, society, sustainability, etc. So while I was walking on the beach this early a.m., a thought came to me to post comments on those companies and people who go over and above in customer service and caring. I decided to blog on who I feel fits into this category or who shows up in my life that I see makes a difference for others.

Starbucks has to be among the first I want to comment on as I have always been a fan of their coffee and the experience they create for customers. Not only do they instill passion into the partners who work there to serve the customers the best coffee experience but also they have created a wonderful space for gathering of all sorts of people from business people, students, housewives with babies, etc. People are on their lap tops, IPads, smart phones, doing homework, conducting business meetings, reading, etc. The company offers health insurance to all employees - full time and part time and stock options to the same mix of people. This is unheard of in most companies. They stay current on what the current trends are in their environment and what people want in drinks and food in their stores and make the necessary changes when needed.

Howard Schultz is an example of a great leader who cares about his staff, customers, he generously gives back to society and cares about our economy, community and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment