Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Importance of Finding Out Your Why

I am currently reading the book "Start With Why" by Simon Sinek.  The book goes into detail about the significance of being very clear on Why you do what you do - personally and professionally.  Through my coach training I worked on this concept as the most significant part of who we all are and what the drivers are that motivate us to our success.  Most people are really good at knowing What they are doing and How they are doing it but they typically don't see the significance or have clarity around Why they do something which is really where success and happiness shows up.  Walmart knows what their Why is - a store for the everyday man or woman who typically lives from pay check to pay check.  Southwest Airlines does as well - low cost airline for the everyday person - economical, efficient and no frills. (these are my words not a quote)  So, to start thinking about the purpose behind what you do start asking yourself some questions and from the answers bringing your discovery to light.  examples:  "what is significant about doing this?"  "what do I like/love about this?" "what makes me jump out of bed in the morning and motivates me to do what I am doing?"  "what experience do I want to create for the benefit of others and why is that important?"  These questions lead to deeper meaning in who you are and what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment