Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Power of Giving Back

I just got back from spending four hours helping out at the rest station for the Miami Dolphins Bicycle event. I met some really nice people who were there to also give of their time. We had fun getting everything set up, cutting up fruit, making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (which was the hit of the morning and we ran out) supporting the worthy cause for cancer prevention. When the bicyclists finally arrived, they were so grateful that we had snacks, drinks, sun screen for them and they expressed their appreciation by saying thank you.

Giving back to me is part of my life, always has been. I am currently working with four non-profits in various capacities and I just love the fulfillment I get to be in the service of others. We humans were put here on earth to be in the service of other people and causes. It's important that everyone find what it is that moves them, motivates them to help others and to find the time to get involved. When you take the time to do this, life comes a little easier, more gratifying and less self-focused.

Volunteers make a difference in many ways that benefits the organizations. People appreciate you when you are selfless and giving. Many events, programs, projects would not get done if it weren't for the people who volunteer their time to help out. Think about this the next time you feel frustrated, stressed, unhappy, stuck - "what can I do to help serve a cause or others?" Then do some research and find the organization that tugs at your heart or your gut says "this looks interesting".  I guarantee you will feel so fulfilled and grateful for what you have in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment