Monday, August 20, 2012

Ideal Job - Organizational Change

In my coaching practice I have a combination of one on one clients conducting executive coaching; conducting workshops inside of organizations and companies on corporate wellness with a focus on stress management and work/life balance; and team coaching on breaking down silos and creating a more transparent, collaborative style of communication between the leadership team and employees teams. I really enjoy facilitating meetings as being the outside, impartial person I don't get caught up in issues, positions, perspectives or this is the right way of doing things thinking. Listening to what is being said, giving people the opportunity to speak their voice w/o judgment and brainstorming on new ideas is really what good coaching is all about.

While walking the other morning, a thought came to me on what would be an ideal coaching assignment to add to my client mix. I would like to be hired on a monthly retainer fee (negotiable) to work with a company  once a month for a few days or one week a month focusing on change with the people. Facilitating meetings; working with teams; breaking down barriers between departments; helping companies evolve from good to Great; corporate wellness programs are some examples where I could bring benefit. I especially like working with sales teams and in fact, coach a few sales managers (remotely I may add) once a month. My focus is helping them become better at communicating with their teams, brainstorming on increasing their margins and new ideas for business development, etc.

I love to travel and could do this anywhere in the country. The biggest challenge is that many leaders don't see the ROI on focusing on their staff  or becoming better leaders themselves. Many companies send people to motivational or educational workshops or webinars. These are great knowledge sources but what do most people do when they get back to the office......throw the material in a drawer and don't make any changes to their behavior or areas of responsibilities.  Coaching focuses on why change is important, what needs to change and how change will be implemented. Action and accountability figure into the process and the best part, a good coach becomes the guiding partner to make this happen, always in service of the client. Hmmm, I am going to have to find opportunities to incorporate this into my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment