Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Gift of a Grandchild

My granddaughter was here for five days and it was so blissful to have her around. She is 19 years old this month and has grown into a beautiful young woman both outside which is noticeable and inside which is far more important. She is at the age of engaging in conversation rather than yes and no answers or being too busy texting to her friends.

We really enjoyed ourselves with the typical mani/pedi day, lunches, Zumba class, bike riding. shopping, etc. But we also simply enjoyed each other's company. She is my only grandchild and even though she doesn't live in the area (moved away with her parents when she was 10) we are very close.  Looking back over the past 19 years, we have had some very fond memories. She shared living space with me when her parents moved back to the states for about 8 months. I loved her little bracelets that she made me (still have them), her rearranging my jewelry and trying on my heels. I went to all of her dance practices and recitals, soccer games and volleyball games when she got older. She is a great athlete and is on a volleyball scholarship now. We have swum with the dolphins, we have stayed in little boutique hotels in cool towns and had dinners and breakfast together just the two us and these memories will continue into the future as she grows in her adult years.

I am very proud of her, love her unconditionally, wish only for the best for her and have taught her to embrace life and never settle. I am grateful for this child.

No comments:

Post a Comment