Saturday, April 13, 2013

Selling Yourself, Your Company and Your Ideas

I am reading the book, "Good in a Room" by Stephanie Palmer. Stephanie has a Hollywood life including being a former producer. She approaches sales from a Hollywood  perspective and I like it. Why do I like it? Think about the competitiveness of her world and the few and far between opportunities there are for people. You really need to know your audience and see the value putting the spotlight on the other person.

One chapter of the book focuses on the "elevator pitch" - how to answer someone who asks you "what do you do" or if you are presenting to people who don't know you and what to say. She is not a fan of elevator speeches and feels (like I do) that most people get them wrong. Many sound so canned and insincere or people tend to ramble on. She says never to pitch an idea when you don't have time to continue the conversation. If you jump in too quickly with a stranger, you probably are wasting your time as they don't have a relationship with you. Someone who doesn't know you or your company is not necessarily an opportunity at that moment in time. Building rapport is so much for effective and genuine. Asking questions to find out about the other person is helpful if there is time and then there could be an opportunity to share what you do or what you stand for. Every buyer and every situation is different so your pitch should reflect these differences. Sometimes just stepping back and breathing can be helpful before you reply to the "what do you do" question. Why not think outside the box and be different and say something completely out of context -I am going to try this next time. I think I 'll say "I go to networking events like this to meet people" or "I really enjoy connecting with other people" or "I go to meetings like this so I can get a glass of wine", and see how they react?  A funny moment may work in your favor and it probably will help the other person see from a different perspective. Who knows......it's worth trying something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment