Thursday, August 12, 2010

Being Present When Driving

Do you ever drive somewhere and when you arrive at your destination you don't remember any of the details of how you got there because you were so caught up in your own private thoughts?  I know I am guilty of that although I am getting better at staying present so I can enjoy what I am passing.  It happened this morning in fact.  I was driving back from Palm Beach on A1A, one of my favorite roads because the ocean is on my left and beautiful mansions are on the right.  I really absorbed all that was going on and so enjoyed the journey and the experience.  Workers were out doing their gardening; the ocean was smooth as glass with some boats out on the horizon; I passed some really cool mail boxes; a museum in Delray Beach - Sandoval House (sp?) a nature museum which I have passed many, many time and never knew existed.  Bicyclists sharing the road; people eating at two restaurants in Delray Beach - Bostons and Luna Rosa and the new, in the middle of the roadway crosswalk stop signs for pedestrians who you must stop for in Palm Beach County or you can be fine $119.  Great ice cream store in Manapalan, across from the Ritz Carlton - "Ice Cream Club" and new construction of somemore beautiful mansions.

Not only will you benefit from being aware of what's around you, discovering a new inspiration that could show up from something you passed and but most importantly you are driving - leave the thinking for later when you arrive at where you are going.

No comments:

Post a Comment